Friday, March 9, 2012

The Pokemon Project

My obsession with the Pokemon video games didn't stop when I got out of elementary school, or when I hit puberty, or when I turned 18.  I still play those games every so often, and I enjoy even more in my old(?) age.  When I was cleaning out my room a couple months ago, I came across a bunch of copies of the older games in the series (Blue, Gold, Sapphire, etc.) and I was thrilled beyond belief.  I thought these games had been lost forever!

More recently, I got into a debate with a friend about which generation of games was the best.  For the non-Pokemon masters out there, the term "generation" in this context refers to a certain set of games.  Red, Blue, and Yellow versions belong to Generation 1.  Gold, Silver, and Crystal belong to Generation 2.  Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, and LeafGreen belong to Generation 3.  Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver belong to Generation 4.  And Black and White, the latest releases, belong to Generation 5.  (It should be noted that FireRed and LeafGreen are remakes of Red, Blue, and Yellow, while HeartGold and SoulSilver are remakes of Gold, Silver, and Crystal.)  My friend seemed rather adamant about sticking to the classic Generation 1 games, while I made a passionate case for the superiority of Generations 2 and 5.  We both seemed to agree that Generation 3 falls rather flat, and that Generation 4 has its highs and lows.

It was then that I decided to replay the old games.  Why not?  It's been over 5 years since I had played a Generation 1 game, and I don't replay the Generation 3 games nearly as much as the others.  Maybe I'm forgetting something, or maybe I'm missing something about the games.  I embarked on a quest:  replay one game from each generation (excluding the remakes), and record my final thoughts so that I can more definitively decide which generation is the best.  I conquered Blue version over the weekend and am currently progressing through Gold at a rapid rate.  Next on the list is Sapphire version, followed by Platinum and White.  I'll keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment